I enjoy using a camera to translate my visualization into reality on paper. Visualization is defined as the ability to see in the "mind's eye" the finished work before actual application. It is the creative process of images transitioning from the realm of the reactive and contemplative to the conscious and deliberate. An element of surreal gives the viewer a different perspective on the subject, removing the literal and getting down to the essence of conveying the energy of the subject. For me, the image begins when the work goes beyond merely representing reality and enters the realm of personal expression. My methods are meant to be intentional, whether in the camera or post processing.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Maple and Red Rock


Visiting Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon area for the first time was a wonderful experience. I only had a day and even then it wasn't a full day so I tried to make the most of it in a short period of time. My husband was the DD so I could concentrate on the places that I had marked on my map as "must stops" . He was an excellent driver and stopped wherever I shouted at him! I couldn't have seen all the places if it hadn't been for him. Anyway, waiting in line to enter a park, I saw across the road this small yellow maple against the beautiful red rock. The shadows of the trees were flickering on the red rock walls and my eye was drawn to the image. I quickly jumped out of the car and ran across the road and shot several images of this as well as another part (which I'll show at a later time). I emphasized the diffused lighting in my post processing as that is what drew me to the spot originally. I hopped back in the car and said to my husband, "Forget the park! Let's keep going!" I knew time was of the essence to get back and I was happy. I knew this image would become one of my favs of the day...an intimate image that to me portrays the essence of the Oak Creek Canyon area.

(Sony Nex 5N...Snapseed, Nik and Topaz)

No comments:

Post a Comment